Cooking Risotto is a lot different from cooking rice. It is made out of round grain rice, not long grain. You add fluid only little by little, cook the risotto without lid and stir a lot. Most risottos are vegetarian, not vegan, because they are made creamy with butter and Parmesan cheese at the end. When I made this vegan version with Chanterelles and stalk celery my (non vegan) family claimed this was the best risotto they have eaten so far. So I will proudly share this recipe with you 😉 .
- 1 cup round grain rice
- 1 cup chanterelles cleaned
- 3 stalk celery chopped
- 1 small onion or shallot chopped
- 1 shot of white wine
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp vegan cream cheese or vegan cream optional
- salt, pepper and fresh parsley
- Heat a pot with the olive oil.
- Add the chopped onion and let sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped celery and chanterelles. Let sauté for 5 Minutes.
- Add the rice. After another 2 minutes deglaze the risotto with white wine.
- From now on it is a constant stirring and adding broth. It takes about 25-30 minutes from now to cook the risotto.
- At the end, when the rice is cooked enough, add the cream cheese.
- Add salt and pepper and fresh chopped parsley to taste.