You might be thinking, “This is a funny article. It is easy to cook rice.” Well, it is. But still, I don’t know very many people who cook rice well. A lot of people think they need a rice cooker to do so, but they don’t.
This is a recipe that runs in my family. One of us, as a student, knew someone from Pakistan and learned from him how to properly make rice. Directions on the box are great, but nothing compares to family recipes that have been perfected and handing down over generations. I think they are the best kind of recipes.
- 1 cup rice
- 1.5 cups water
- 2-3 Tbsp oil
- Heat a pot with the oil. Add the rice and the salt. If you like yellow rice, add 1-2 tsp. Curcuma powder.
- Stir and let fry a little.
- Add all the water and stir. At this time, you can try the water and add more salt if it was too little.
- Bring to a boil, add a piece of kitchen paper to cover the pot, put the lid on top.
- Turn down your stove to very low and set the timer to 20 minutes.
- When the time is up, turn off the stove and let sit for another 10 minutes. The rice will have soaked up all the water.
- If you like it a little crunchy at the bottom (I love that) don’t turn your stove to the lowest setting, but a little higher.