Carrots owe their bright orange color to the secondary plant substance beta-carotene. It acts as a powerful antioxidant and increases cell protection. Beta-carotene is converted by the body into vitamin A – important for healthy eyes, skin and hair. The high vitamin C content in cauliflower strengthens the immune system. Ginger, harissa and cumin stimulate the metabolism and keep you warm on cold days.
Oriental Carrot Soup With Roasted Cauliflower
- 4 cups carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 0,5 cup piece of ginger
- 5 tbsp oliveoil
- 0,75 cup red lentils
- 4 tsp harissa
- 2 tsp cumin
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 bunch coriander greens
- 1 tbsp blackcumin
- salt, pepper
- 1 – 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 orange
- Clean and peel the carrots and cut into small cubes. Peel onions, garlic and ginger and finely dice each.
- Heat 2 tbsp.oil in a saucepan and sauté onions, garlic and ginger for 1-2 min. over mediumheat. Add the carrots and fry, stirring occasionally, for approx. 5 min. Add lentils, harissa and cumin and sauté briefly. Pour in the broth, bring the soup to a boil, cover and simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash and clean the cauliflower florets and divide into small florets. Rinse the cilantro, shake dry, pluck the leaves and chop except for a few leaves for garnish.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the cauliflower in it, turning over high heat, for about 5 minutes. Halfway through the frying time, add the black cumin seeds and fry. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and mix in the coriander.
- Remove the carrot soup from the heat. Cut the orange in half, squeeze it and add the juiceto the soup. Puree everything finely with a hand blender. Season to taste withsalt, pepper and lemon juice. Divide the soup into bowls or deep plates, sprinkle with the cauliflower mixture and garnish with cilantro.
- Vital Food Tip: For optimal yield of beta-carotene from carrots and cauliflower, always sauté or steam the vegetables in a little oil. Vitamin C is sensitive to heat -so mix in the orange juice just before serving.