This is a moist and healthy full grain bread that is quick to make. You can use the same recipe and substitute some of the grains with sunflower seeds, flaxseed, sesame and or nuts if you like it crunchy. You could also use some of the grains finely ground as flour and some coarsely ground as grist.
Quick healthy bread
- 4 cups mix of grains, coarsely ground (I used spelt and buckwheat) or store bought wholemeal flour
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 pack dry yeast (the amount for 4 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp apple vinegar
- Mix the flour (grist, nuts…) with dry yeast, salt and soda.
- Add the oil and mix in enough water for a consistency that drops heavily off your spoon.
- Stir in the vinegar, pour the batter in a prepared pan and put the bread in the oven.
- Turn your oven to 200 °C (yes the bread sits in the cold oven) and bake for about 40-50 minutes or until its golden brown on top.
This bread tastes good with sweet toppings as well as with my favourite vegan “liverwurst”.