All you have to do to make this classic American dish vegan is to substitute the bacon (or just skip it). Here is my version, very much liked by all male members of my family, even without the bacon.
The American classic. Use canned beans if you don't have much time for cooking or dried beans for a more sustainable and cheaper version. But allow 1.5 hours baking in the oven for the real experience :-).
- 1 cup dried white beans or 2 15 oz canned beans
- 1 onion
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 can tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 2-3 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 2 tsp. hot sauce or some chillis, chopped
- 2 tsp. agave syrup
- 2 tsp. spicy mustard
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- 1 pack smoked tofu or tofu sausages
- if you use dried beans, soak them over night and cook
- chop the onion and cut the tomatoes in small pieces
- heat oil in a skillet and sauté onions for 5 minutes
- cut the tofu in small pieces and add to the skillet for a one pot meal or fry it separately when the beans are done and serve it with the baked beans.
- add garlic and tomatoes and cook for 3 more minutes
- mix all spices and the onion mixture with the beans in a casserole dish with a lid
- bake in the oven at 330 °F (165°C) for about 1.5 hours, stirring once or twice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
(Visited 2,509 times, 1 visits today)