Hefezopf is a traditional dish for a German Easter breakfast table. It is easy and delicious and a little sweet. I used wholemeal spelt but if you prefer a light version simply use white flour instead.
Vegan Yeast braid
Easy to make delicious breakfast "bread" for Easter
- 4 cups flour I used wholemeal spelt
- 1 pack dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cup non dairy milk I used oat milk
- 1/4 cup sugar I used agave sirup instead
- 1/3 cup margarine
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp soymeal
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- some water
- Mix 4 tablespoons of soy meal with some water until smooth. This is your egg substitute.
- Mix all other ingredients but the last 2 Tbsp. of soy meal and kneed them in your kitchen machine or by hand.
- Allow the dough to rise for about 40 minutes or until significant bigger.
- Kneed again.
- Cut the dough into 3 equal pieces
- Roll each into a long piece, put them on a non stick baking paper and join at the top.
- Start braiding just like you would do with hair ;-).
- Finish braiding and squeeze the beginning and the end a little bit together.
- Stir the last 2 tablespoons of soy meal with water and brush the braid with it.
- You could sprinkle some almond slivers or sugar on top.
- Put your braid into the cold oven and turn on 330 °F. This way your doe can still rise a bit before baking. The traditional way would be to preheat your oven but let the braid sit and rise for another 30 Minutes before baking.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes until golden brown. You can stick a wooden toothpick in your braid. When it comes out dry without any doe stuck to it, your Easter bread is done.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
(Visited 260 times, 1 visits today)